Thursday, July 2, 2015

July Inspiration with Jelissa


Hello Blue Fern fans! How has your month of July been? The weather has been blazing hot and we're doing whatever we can to cool down.

It's my turn on the Blue Fern blog today and I have two creations to share with you. The first is based on the fabulous July sketch. Here is what it looks like:


I've kept the orientation of the sketch, as well as the dark background and my papers came from a mix of Sanctuary and Love Story to create my layout.


My mixed media background was created Birdsong Melody from Sanctuary, with a lot of paint dabbing and layering with watercolors, as well as textural details using microspheres, dew drops and microbeads, as well as some string and stamping. I love it that Blue Fern tries in sneak in a few dark colored patterned papers into their collections for us to create our very own backgrounds.

Some close-ups:


The La Plume chipboard which I first painted with a light brown, followed by UTEE embossing for resist and layering with more browns. Beneath are paper layers made from scraps I had left over from Love Story collection.


The Notebook Edges chipboard, which I first heat embossed and then colored with different shades of blue. To add texture to my layers, I mixed chipboard, paper, lace and trims.


A close-up of some of the textural details I have in my background.

I hope my sample has inspired you to create a project of your own to participate in our monthly sketch challenge!

Blue Fern Studios products used:
Sanctuary collection - Melody Birdsong
Love Story collection - Concerto, Sweet Song, True Harmony
Notebook Edges
La Plume


And now for my video tutorial. For this project, I revisited one of my all time favourites from Blue Fern Studios, the Ombre Dreams collection. 


I used only "Susan's Dream" because the images on the paper fit my composition perfectly and had the exact type of watercolor imagery I had in mind to create for my background. I also used scraps from Dream Cards and Charlotte's Dream to build up my layers.

Some close-ups:


A die cut from Dream Cards which I used as my title, and a Bohemian flower piece tucked into my cluster. You can also see the half-tone stamp which I used to add minute details to my background.


I love the big chipboard pieces because they are simply value for money and so fun to play with. Here, you see Medley Border which I have cut up into four pieces and tucked them everywhere to maintain the flow of my composition, as well as to break up the monotony of paper layering.


Interspersed in the layers is also the Notebook frame which I had added some texture to.

Here is the start-to-finish video. I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I have creating the project.



Blue Fern Studios products used:
Ombre Dreams - Charlotte's Dream, Susan's Dream, Dream Cards
Notebook Frame
Bohemian Flowers
Medley Border
Halftone stamps

love,
Jelissa


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful layouts Jelissa,and the video is great . You made it look very clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful layouts Jelissa! I love the first one, that background is spectacular!!! Great video as always Lisa xo

    ReplyDelete