Saturday, July 19, 2014

Bright and Bold by Jackie Clark

Hello Blue Fern fans! Jackie with you here today, taking a break from our family's seaside summer vacation to share my July, summer-inspired projects. I have two very different projects for you today; the first light, airy and summery, and the second darker and more sultry, like those warm summer nights.

Sometimes you see a piece of chipboard, and a project starts to take shape in your mind. That's what happened for me with the Butterfly Grid. I saw it, and a project started to evolve. I knew that I wanted to pair it with the Butterfly Kisses title and the Tattered Butterflies, and my layout grew out of that.


One of the glorious things about the Blue Fern Studios panels is the ability to cut them apart and use them in whatever way best suits your project. I cut mine into the big piece on the left and the smaller piece on the right, and have some leftover for another project. I primed the whole thing with gesso, and then set about colouring the butterflies with shimmery watercolour paints.


For the grid piece on the right I added one of the Tattered Butterflies to coordinate with the butterflies in the Butterfly Grid.


For the Butterfly Kisses title piece I sprinkled on embossing powders in pink, blue and yellow randomly and heat set them.


 The colours of the Ombre Dreams papers inspired my colour choices, and I loaded on media in the background to create a fun, sunny layout.


Blue Fern Studios Products:

- Ombre Dreams: Susan's Dream, Ginger's Dream
- Chipboard: Butterfly Grid, Butterfly Kisses, Tattered Butterflies


My second layout has a darker colour scheme, but it still evokes summery memories for me, as the picture was taken on my honeymoon, during a very hot summer in Bordeaux - that's my (then) new husband's hand holding the wineglass; hard to believe it's been 11 years!


Although the picture is anything but industrial in nature, the Industrial Corner and Working Parts chippies just seemed like a natural fit. For some reason I pictured them a deep, dark red, but I didn't have a red embossing powder. Not to worry, I used a red acrylic glaze, and added clear embossing powder overtop while it was still wet and heat set it. I then added embossing ink randomly throughout and added both gold and a silver/black embossing powder.

Here's a look at one of the finished pieces.


Thank you so much for stopping in to view my projects today! We love to see what you create with Blue Fern Studios products, so be sure to keep posting your creations to our Facebook page and our Gallery.

Blue Fern Studios Products:

- Chipboard: Industrial Corner, Working Parts

1 comment: